Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Registered.



     Registries are kind of a weird thing. I never thought so before, when I was always a registry-gift-buyer and not a registry-setter-upper, so maybe I'm over-thinking this. On the one hand, people are, of course, going to want to buy you presents to celebrate your wedding, and that's a great thing, and I've always been very happy there are things such as registries to make finding the right gift for a couple super easy. On the other hand, now that I am half of a registered couple, I feel kind of like a 5 year old writing a letter to Santa that says BUY ME STUFF in red crayon. So, there you are - if you'd like to buy us a wedding present, which would be very generous of you and very gratefully received, then go ahead and peruse the registries we've set up. I hope you all know the best wedding present is you all coming to the wedding! It won't be any fun without you. And I know, we're both terribly hard to buy presents for...on account of having weird and nerdy hobbies & interests, and liking dives and hard-to-find places to eat in. What can I say, I am my father's daughter. I don't know what Ryan's excuse is. He must be weird too, or he wouldn't be marrying me.

     That said, it is also a fact that Ryan & I have been cohabitating for almost 5 years, and we have all the requisite plates, cups, vacuums, blenders, and cake pans that one could possibly need. Well, Ryan disagrees about some baking equipment, but we'll get back to that later. I am also in line to inherit at least 3 sets of crystal, china, and silverware - and really, does anyone actually use crystal anymore? (Don't answer that, Danielle, I know you do). We kind of looked around our apartment and thought it felt kind of wrong (never mind not very "green") to just get fancier versions of everything we already had...So Ryan & I have decided to go a little nontraditional and set up a honeymoon registry instead. 

     (We also have set up a registry at Target for some household goods that we actually do need ("need" being a relative term in the case of the composter, I know, but hey, what are registries for?) and because Mom was horrified at the idea of having a bridal shower without me opening at least some household goods.)

     Back to the Honeymoon Registry. There's a bunch of different ones online, and they all work different ways, but we did a lot of research and found The Big Day. They are internationally-certified travel agents, and they work with you to set up your trip just like any travel agent would do. We put a deposit down on the hotels and flights, but all the other options on the registry are up to your guests to choose for you. I think that's kind of fun. Our honeymoon is in YOUR hands, people! You want us to get fat, well, there's ample food-related stuff. Want us to be educated? You know me, there's a ton of museums and geeky historical stuff too. And please, feel free to email me if you want us to do something specific that's not on the list - I can add it pronto. You can reserve things online, or you can call them by phone and they'll make suggestions and walk you through the process. They'll email you (or mail you if you want) a gift card showing your choices that you can give to the lucky couple.

     And I am SO excited about the trip we plotted out. We're going right after Christmas, flying to Venice, then spending a few nights in Venice, Florence, and Rome. Then we're going to take the overnight train (how awesome) to Paris, spend a few nights there, then take the Chunnel train to London. We haven't figured out London exactly yet, but Ryan's amazing friends (who you'll all meet at the wedding) have offered to put us up for a while in their house in the countryside outside London. Then we're flying back from London...all told, we'll be gone about 2.5 weeks. We are going so long after the wedding because it makes the best sense for vacation time for me at work, but I'm kind of happy it worked out that way - it's going to take me that long to pack!



No comments: