
I know you're all sick of hearing from the book world, and I swear I will get back to wedding news soon enough, but I just wanted to say things have been going great at the new job. It's been a bit of a whirlwind, trying to get everything in order and learn a whole new company and all new systems, but everyone has been really helpful and has been putting up with my stupid questions really well. For those of you who want to check out more about Orbit & my non-bride life, it's part of my job to occasionally blog on the company site, so you can check that out here: orbit books
(You can scroll down until you see "contributors" on the right-hand sidebar, then click on my name, and you'll see my cheesy bio and my very first work post)
Unfortunately today the other shoe finally fell at Doubleday, and a lot of people, especially a lot of the Art Department, got laid off. I am so lucky to have been laid off earlier, and found this job at Orbit. Hachette, our parent company, really seems to be dedicated to publishing less books overall, but better books, and they are way ahead of the rest of the publishing world, as the economy will force other companies to follow suit. Even better, it's a great time to be in genre publishing ("genre" publishing means not general fiction or non-fiction, but more like mysteries, science fiction/fantasy, romance, etc.), because geeks will always buy their books! I know this from personal experience, of course, but the industry backs me up on this: Galleycat: Not Everyone's Sales are Going Down
I promise, the next post will *hopefully* be back to wedding-as-usual.
No comments:
Post a Comment